About a year ago I wrote this blogentry. It turns out that putting The Crack yarn in the freezer did calm the fibers down and I had no more asthma related knitting incidences! So what did I do with The Crack?
Well, I found a pattern in a book called Boutique Knits. This is a beautiful book with beautiful patterns and I have knit quite a few items out of the book. In the very back of the book is this lovely little pattern called Soft Kid Bubble Tunic. I was at first drawn to this pattern because it was so different but I wasn’t sure if it would look good on me. I decided that I would give it a whirl and by looking just at the picture I got even more excited because it appeared to be knit in The Crack, Kid Silk Haze. However, upon actually reading the pattern it turns out it was knit with a much heavier weight yarn but that was just as fuzzy and soft as The Crack. My advisors and I decided that as long as I was wearing something underneath the garment I could use the lace weight yarn. So I did the appropriate gauge knitting and math to get the correct size since I was using smaller yarn and got started. The first problem with knitting this garment was that it’s a fairly large piece and using such a thin yarn was going to take A LOT longer! Then we had the whole Asthma issue along with many other projects getting thrown in front of this one and then some confusion with the pattern. All in all this project has taken me about a year and a half to finish (that is not straight knitting, simply time on the needles). It had way more headaches than I ever expected and quickly went from one of those projects I just couldn’t wait to finish to the project I avoided at all costs. It’s all done now, except for a tiny bit of crochet edging that a dear friend is doing for me since I don’t crochet and on a coveted project is not the time to learn. However, I’m not super happy with the end result. I don’t know if it’s because I lost my love for the project amidst all the problems or if it’s because I didn’t use the proper yarn and I feel The Crack isn’t very forgiving so it shows some minor glitches and things like that. Or maybe it’s the fact that I put all that work and pain into this piece and after all that it doesn’t fit because I’m pregnant!!! I tried the tunic on in the fall, beginning of the pregnancy, and because it is sort of flowy it seemed I had plenty of room to grow in to the item and wear it at least once before I got too big for it. The night I finished the project up I quickly put it on hoping I could wear it to church the next day. NOPE! Now I have to wait even longer to wear this garment that has become a thorn in my side.
So here are some pictures of the finished item but unfortunately you will have to wait probably another year until I actually fit into it again! Stay tuned for installment 3 of The Crack Yarn!